Sunday, February 25, 2018

"Leadership is an action, not a position"

     We all talk about leadership positions as if the position itself and the title were enough to sustain us in times of difficulty.  I am sure that most of us have known such a leader personally and professionally who we were sure only had the title and not the knowledge and abilities which leadership in that profession entailed.  If this is true, why do many of us aspire only to be that person?  I cannot say exactly where my aspirations lie because the leadership to which I aspire does not yet exist in my own limited sphere of influence. I know that it exists well beyond the outskirts of my scope, but I wish to create it in my small world.  I look at my colleagues roll their eyes when I mention new ways of looking at problems or approaching solutions.  I feel their disdain as I seek higher ground with whichever students I can carry along with me.  I hear the whispers which shield me from open animosity while I try to be both approachable and unassailable in my thoughts and actions. 
     It is not easy to watch from the sidelines when adults want to just get by with doing what has always been done, and which has led mostly to failure.  I find it impossible, so I seek channels of support to bolster my resolve.  I have found buoys to grab onto, but I want to be one for others who are also struggling against the current.  Tomorrow I plan to begin the long road toward advocacy and innovative change, even if I am on the path alone.  This generation of children depends on us to guide and teach them all, and I, for one, with all of my crazy ideas, will be there to do it.  I will gather others to our cause and brace myself and my companions against the hailstorm which may envelop us, and I will not allow the children to be buffeted or swallowed up in the conflict which will ensue.  In the momentous worlds of Alexander Hamilton (a la Lin Manuel Miranda), "if you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything."
     Wish me luck, and I will keep my plans updated and our progress as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment